With Shutdown Looming, League Monitors Situation in Washington
As we move closer to a federal government shutdown, your League is carefully monitoring the situation and engaging with lawmakers. We continue to make the point that a shutdown will harm credit union members, the regional economy, and credit unions themselves.
Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia are home to more than 400,000 civilian federal employees, meaning the impact of a shutdown on regional credit unions stands to be significant.
The threat of a government shutdown was a key topic of discussion during our Legislative Receptions this summer and during recent Hike The Hill events. We also sent letters to every member of the Virginia Congressional Delegation, asking that they work to avoid a shutdown.
“Virginia-based credit unions serve the financial needs of thousands of federal workers and their families, as well as government contractors. We understand the financial hardships that will be faced by members affected by the shutdown, and credit unions are proudly putting our service-focused philosophy to work by offering a variety of assistance programs,” said Virginia Credit Union League President/CEO Carrie Hunt.
How are you planning to help members?
Please complete our brief survey to let us know what you plan as far as assistance to workers affected by the shutdown.
- Related: League Amps Up Urgent Call to Lawmakers to Avoid Government Shutdown
- Related: Virginia CU Advocates Reach Congressional Delegation Through ‘Hike The Hill,’ Summer Legislative Events
- Related: League, CUs Meet with Sen. Warner, Offices of Other Lawmakers as ‘Hike The Hill’ Efforts Continue
- Related: CUs, League Host 15 Lawmakers, Candidates at NoVA-Area Legislative Reception
- Related: League Legislative Receptions in Roanoke, Richmond Draw Dozens of Lawmakers, 100 CU Champions
- Related: CUs, League Host Lawmakers, Officials at Legislative Reception in Harrisonburg
- Share on Facebook: With Shutdown Looming, League Monitors Situation in Washington
- Share on Twitter: With Shutdown Looming, League Monitors Situation in Washington
- Share on LinkedIn: With Shutdown Looming, League Monitors Situation in Washington
- Share on Pinterest: With Shutdown Looming, League Monitors Situation in Washington
« Return to "League News Releases" Go to main navigation