CUs, League Host Lawmakers, Officials at Legislative Reception in Harrisonburg
PHOTO: Congressman Ben Cline (R-6th) (pictured right) and League Chief Advocacy Officer JT Blau at the League's Legislative Reception in Harrisonburg.
Forty-five credit union advocates, lawmakers and local officials last night participated in the League's second Legislative Reception of the summer. The Harrisonburg event was hosted by UVA Community Credit Union and also drew participants from CommonWealth One Federal Credit Union, DuPont Community Credit Union and Park View Federal Credit Union.
"These events represent a prime opportunity to advocate for credit unions, prepare for an eventful General Election this November, and introduce credit unions to political candidates who are seeking office for the first time," notes League Chief Advocacy Officer JT Blau.
With Congress in its August recess, we've been able to meet with Congressmen Bob Good (R-5th) and Ben Cline (R-6th) at our Legislative Receptions in Danville and Harrisonburg, continuing our efforts to promote the credit union difference. An important legislative priority is to derail interchange legislation that would benefit big box retailers to the detriment of credit unions and consumers. Interchange legislation could be taken up shortly after Congress reconvenes in September.
At the state level, the General Assembly will look very different come January. Based on retirements and results from the June primaries, more than two-fifths of the 40-member Senate will be new; so will more than one-third of the 100-member House of Delegates. Election defeats would push the turnover higher.
"With the influx of new lawmakers, there will be education and experience gaps that we'll need to address as it relates to credit unions and financial services,” noted Blau. “These receptions are helping credit unions and the League build these all-important relationships early as we prepare for a busy 2024 session.”
Four Legislative Receptions remain and your participation in our advocacy efforts is critical!
Join us at any of the receptions listed below ...
- Aug. 22 - Roanoke Region Legislative Reception with Congressman Griffith (R-09) - Twisted Track Brewpub, 523 Shenandoah Ave. NW, Roanoke, 24016)
- Aug. 24 – Richmond Metro Legislative Reception – Hosted by Credit Union House of Virginia (108 N. 8th Street, Richmond, 23219)
- Aug. 30 – Northern Virginia Legislative Reception with Congresswoman Wexton (D-10) – Hosted by Northwest FCU (200 Spring Street, Herndon, 20170)
- NOTE: We are working with members of Congress to schedule our final August reception in Hampton Roads. We will share this date and location as soon as it's set.
- Share on Facebook: CUs, League Host Lawmakers, Officials at Legislative Reception in Harrisonburg
- Share on Twitter: CUs, League Host Lawmakers, Officials at Legislative Reception in Harrisonburg
- Share on LinkedIn: CUs, League Host Lawmakers, Officials at Legislative Reception in Harrisonburg
- Share on Pinterest: CUs, League Host Lawmakers, Officials at Legislative Reception in Harrisonburg
« Return to "News" Go to main navigation