Job Openings: Accounting Manager (Fairfax)
|Announcement Date:||September 15, 2020|
|Location of Position:||Fairfax, VA|
|Salary:||Based on experience|
|Days:||Monday through Friday|
We’re looking for someone. Someone with integrity. Someone with passion. If that’s you, come explore a career with us. Let’s grow together!
NextMark Credit Union is currently seeking a full-time Accounting Manager at our main location in Fairfax. Here at NextMark, we are committed to being an inclusive organization where our employees are treated fairly, recognized for their individuality, promoted based on skills and performance, and encouraged to reach their full potential. Benefits of full-time employment at NextMark include medical, dental, and vision insurance, company-paid life and long term disability insurance, vacation and sick leave, 401(k) with matching contributions, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, telecommuting program, casual dress opportunities, annual bonus potential, and loan rate discounts.
The role of the Accounting Manager is to manage and oversee the daily operations of the Accounting and Card Services departments. The Accounting Manager will monitor and analyze accounting data and prepare financial, cash flow and other analytical reports, including annual plan and operating budgets; make certain that proper accounting methods, policies, procedures, and principles are implemented and documented; and ensure complete, accurate, and timely completion of financial, payroll and accounting records for the credit union. The Accounting Manager will also work with credit union vendors to ensure their compliance with projects and contracts, and act as a tertiary back-up for payroll processing. This position is 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, and is classified as exempt. The Accounting Manager reports to the CFO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs and oversees the daily operations of the Accounting and Card Services departments. Assists staff with problems and allocates staff resources to as needed to maintain scheduled completion dates. Acquires resources needed to ensure completion of all assigned departmental responsibilities and compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Hires, trains, directs, and motivates a highly qualified staff sufficient to meet the needs of NextMark. Evaluates employee performance and recommends appropriate personnel actions as needed. Coaches on behaviors and provide ongoing feedback for continual employee development. Fosters cooperation and teamwork and promotes the overall success of employees in the department.
- Monitor, analyze, and verify accuracy of financial accounting data to ensure completion of financial, statistical, regulatory, and accounting reports of NextMark.
- Ensure departmental procedures are established, implemented, and documented with annual reviews and updates completed. Ensures comprehensive and up-to-date procedures are maintained for all Accounting and Card Services functions.
- Works with auditors and examiners on year-end and comprehensive audits, as well as internal audits and reporting.
- Work with and monitor credit union vendors on department related matters.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Ensure that the credit union’s financials and general ledger accounts are always in balance, current, and GAAP compliant. This will be verified after month end closing is completed and monthly reconciliations are reviewed and approved with minimal to no outstanding items remaining unless supported by appropriate documentation.
- Hire, direct, and motivate a highly qualified staff, sufficient to meet the accounting and card services needs of NextMark. Complete annual reviews within one week of due date.
- Provide friendly, professional and accurate service and support to all members, vendors, regulators and employees. This will be monitored through feedback received from these groups.
- Accomplish all assigned projects in an effective and professional manner. Keep management informed of the project status, including any problematic areas. Timeframes for completion of projects will be assigned by management and used in the evaluation of this measurement along with feedback from associated parties.
- Ensure the department meets all deadlines, with minimal errors and no errors that result in losses to the credit union. Manage staff to ensure that their job duties are being completed in a timely manner and in compliance with all policies and that all reporting (including but not limited to BSA/Patriot Act requirements), documentation, compliance, remittance, regulatory, and legal aspects are met so there is no negative impact to the organization. This will be monitored via the deadlines assigned and losses, if any are sustained. In addition, internal and external reporting indicating compliance or non-compliance with the departments’ functions can be used as a measurement.
Knowledge and Skills:
Experience: Three years to five years of similar or related experience, preferably in a financial institution.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Accounting, Finance or related field.
Interpersonal Skills: Work involves extensive personal contact with others and is of a personal or sensitive nature. Motivating, influencing, and/or training others is key. Outside contacts are important and fostering sound relationships with other entities (companies and/or individuals) is necessary and often requires the ability to influence and/or sell ideas or services to others.
Other Skills/Requirements: Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles; Accounting software experience; Data management and analysis skills; Time management and organization skills with an attention to detail. Strong supervisory and communication skills. Ability to work within deadlines and under pressure. Microsoft Office proficient (includes Word, Excel, and Outlook). Utilize standard office equipment. Must pass background check and maintain ability to be bonded.
Physical Requirements: Ability to lift up to 25 lbs. Ability to sit at a desk for extended periods. Work Environment: An office environment.
This job description is not a complete statement of all duties and responsibilities comprising this position.
This position will be posted both internally and externally. Final internal and external candidates must successfully complete the required pre-employment assessments designated for this position.
NextMark Credit Union is an EEO employer committed to the non-discriminatory treatment of all applicants and personnel without regard to age, race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, national origin, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Equal access to programs, services and employment is available to all persons. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application and/or interview process should notify Human Resources.
To apply for this position, please submit your résumé and salary requirements to Jobs@NextMarkCU.org. Please include the position title in the subject line.
How to Apply
Carefully read the above posting for specific information on how to apply for this position. If the credit union requests you apply through their website or directly through email to one of their staff members, please use that method to ensure timely consideration for the position you seek.
Go to main navigation