CURRENT Newsletter | June 1, 2023
Share Your News!
- Email Us
- 800.768.3344, ext. 629
We appreciate our loyal readers! Please send your comments and feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Debt Ceiling Bill Passes House with Broad Bipartisan Support, But Virginia Delegation Splits on Vote
Your League called the offices of every member of Virginia’s Congressional Delegation in the run-up to last night’s vote on the debt ceiling bill, urging a speedy resolution to the crisis. While the bill passed with broad bipartisan support in the House, passage in the Senate could prove trickier. The bill must garner at least 60 votes in the Senate to pass, and a vote could come as early as tonight.
Join us from 6 p.m.-8 p.m. at Ballad Brewing in Danville for the first in a series of Legislative Receptions being hosted across the Commonwealth. Rep. Bob Good and several state lawmakers are expected to attend.
Virginia Credit Union League President/CEO Carrie Hunt recently interviewed Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares for his perspective on the recent General Assembly session, the ongoing debate on the state budget, and various regulatory and legal issues of interest to credit unions.
Join us in Richmond June 20-22 for EMERGE 2023! Programming includes sessions on mastering personal and professional communication, building a career roadmap, the importance of data in today’s financial services industry, soft skills and advocacy! The event starts June 20, with a reception at the Credit Union House of Virginia.
If you missed IGNITE 2023, you really missed out! Check out all the news from IGNITE below…
- CUs Honor Patsy Stuard with Kirsch Lifetime Achievement Award
- Chartway CU's Jill Edsall Recognized with 2023 Farley Award of Excellence
- Member CUs Elect Three to League Board; Board Names Officers for the Coming Year
- Credit Union Service Company of Virginia Elects Board Members, Names Officers
- IGNITE Panel Discusses CU Issues, Concerns at State, National and International Levels
- Thanks VACUPAC Champions!
- Sen. Mason, Del. Batten Welcome IGNITE Attendees to Williamsburg
Count on your League to help you manage today's complex regulatory compliance environment. Our next quarterly roundtable is scheduled for June 14. Our roundtables are designed to aid your team in building its compliance resources, boosting its regulatory expertise and saving time.
In recent years, the concept of traditional payday cycles has been challenged by the emergence of EWA. These services are changing the way employees access their earned wages while touting flexibility and convenience. Across the country, states are tackling how to fit EWA services into their legislative and regulatory framework built around traditional finance. What is EWA? Who are the players in the market? And how are they being regulated? As we like to say - let's dive in!
Attend this no-charge online training to see how InfoSight will instantly solve your coverage money loss problems for your credit union with the Account Insurance Estimator. Join us on June 8 at 11 a.m. for this 45-minute overview and training session.
The Virginia Credit Union League was proud to honor 16 credit union professionals for completing the EMERGE Leadership Certification program on May 24. The program consists of five core modules, including the EMERGE Conference.
In Other News …
- League's Blau Speaks at Everest Federal Credit Union Annual Meeting
- ABNB Community Foundation Awards $69,000 in Grants to Local Non-Profits
- BayPort Foundation Awards $100,000 in Scholarships to 8 Working Adults, 11 College Students and 19 High School Seniors
- New Mural at Freedom First’s Elmwood Headquarters
- Beach Municipal Federal Credit Union Awards Education Scholarships