CommonWealth One, Peoples Advantage, Virginia CUs Recognized with National Financial Education, Member Service Awards
Three Virginia-based credit unions have been recognized with national financial education and member service awards.
CUNA's National Awards Committee announced the 2023 recipients of the Dora Maxwell Social Responsibility Award, Louise Herring Philosophy in Action Member Service Award, and Desjardins Adult and Youth Financial Education Awards. State Leagues across the nation select winners in various asset sizes, and these League winners are then considered for the national awards.
“Every day, credit unions showcase the ‘Credit Union Difference’ through their service to members and through their support of the communities they call home,” said Virginia Credit Union League President/CEO Carrie Hunt. “Whether it’s preparing young people to successfully manage their finances, helping a member become a first-time homeowner or supporting the good work of local charities, credit unions understand the importance of putting people first. We’re proud to honor these Virginia-based credit unions for their commitment.”
Congratulations to our award-winning credit unions:
- CommonWealth One Federal Credit Union - (2nd Place) Desjardins Youth Financial Education Award ($250 million-$1 billion asset category)
With the pandemic behind it, CommonWealth One boosted both its in-person and virtual financial education programs for young people. Through partnerships with Alexandria City Public Schools, Harrisonburg City Public Schools, James Madison University and several other community partners, COFCU engaged with and educated thousands of young people last year on personal finance basics.
- Peoples Advantage Federal Credit Union - (1st Place) Louise Herring Award ($50 million - $250 million in assets)
The Peoples Advantage Federal Credit Union Affordable Housing Program was designed to help first-time home buyers achieve homeownership. As a Community Development Financial Institution, the CU seeks to deliver affordable support to help low-income, low-wealth, and other disadvantaged people and communities join the financial services mainstream.
- Virginia Credit Union - (1st Place) Desjardins Adult Financial Education Awards ($1 billion-plus asset category)
In partnership with Virginia Commonwealth University, the credit union created an endowed Virginia Credit Union Financial Success Center at VCU. This center supports new and expanded programming to ensure that the VCU community of students, faculty, and alumni are financially healthy. Last year, the center reached more than 7,700 students, faculty, and alumni with financial education programs.
- Virginia Credit Union - (2nd Place) Desjardins Youth Financial Education Award ($1 billion-plus asset category)
In a commitment to focus on financial education for young people in 2022, the financial education team at Virginia Credit Union conducted 330 presentations to students in grades PreK-12, reaching more than 20,000 students aged 18 and under in area schools and through non-profit organizations.
“Congratulations to this year’s winners for the exemplary work done for their communities and the members they serve. These leaders have made it their mission as credit union advocates to promote financial well-being,” said CUNA President/CEO Jim Nussle. “Each winner has demonstrated a passion in helping others, advancing their communities, and making a difference. I applaud their commitment to the credit union movement.”
Earlier this month, we recognized our award winners at our annual Awards Celebration at the Credit Union House of Virginia.
- Share on Facebook: CommonWealth One, Peoples Advantage, Virginia CUs Recognized with National Financial Education, Member Service Awards
- Share on Twitter: CommonWealth One, Peoples Advantage, Virginia CUs Recognized with National Financial Education, Member Service Awards
- Share on LinkedIn: CommonWealth One, Peoples Advantage, Virginia CUs Recognized with National Financial Education, Member Service Awards
- Share on Pinterest: CommonWealth One, Peoples Advantage, Virginia CUs Recognized with National Financial Education, Member Service Awards
« Return to "League News Releases" Go to main navigation