Job Openings: Compliance Officer (Fairfax)
|Announcement Date:||September 8, 2021|
|Location of Position:||Fairfax|
|Salary:||Based on experience|
|Days:||Monday - Friday|
|Hours:||Based on need|
We're looking for someone with integrity and passion. If that’s you, come explore a career with us. Let’s grow together!
NextMark Credit Union is currently seeking a full-time Compliance Officer at our main location in Fairfax. Here at NextMark, we are committed to being an inclusive organization where our employees are treated fairly, recognized for their individuality, promoted based on skills and performance, and encouraged to reach their full potential. Benefits of full-time employment at NextMark include medical, dental, and vision insurance, company-paid life and long term disability insurance, vacation and sick leave, 40l(k) with matching contributions, flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, telecommuting program, casual dress opportunities, annual bonus potential, and loan rate discounts.
The Compliance Officer is responsible for recurring daily tasks necessary to ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations, including: regulation review and analysis; policy/procedure development and review; account research and monitoring; data analysis; and BSA report preparation, review, and filing. This position is 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, and is classified as exempt. The Compliance Officer reports to the CIO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reviews and analyzes transaction data in compliance with government laws & regulations related to the BSA & USA PATRIOT ACT using anti-money-laundering software. Monitors OFAC watch lists, fraud alerts, and red flags on a daily basis. Initiates cases for further investigation as necessary. Researches and prepares Suspicious Activity Report filings. Ensures complete, accurate, and timely filing of Currency Transaction Reports and Suspicious Activity Reports. Performs bi-weekly 314(a) searches; reports results to FinCEN if applicable. Maintains funds transfer and negotiable instrument sales records; reviews and analyzes data for suspicious activity on a monthly basis. Conducts periodic reviews of medium and high-risk accounts and business accounts in accordance with the BSA/AML Program.
- Remains informed of regulatory compliance issues affecting NextMark, such as new laws or regulations, or changes to existing regulations. Analyzes rules and recommends plan to ensure compliance, including continual review and streamlining of compliance processes to drive efficiency in the compliance function. Periodically reviews and updates NextMark’s policies and procedures to ensure compliance with the applicable federal and state laws and regulations. Notifies all affected parties of the changes and the new procedures adopted. Assists all departments in modifying business practices to conform to applicable laws and regulations. Assists Training department with planning, curriculum, and delivery of all required compliance related training.
- Serves as compliance subject matter expert on NextMark projects involving development of new products, services, delivery channels, and deployment of new systems and technologies if applicable. Ensures project deliverables are compliant with all relevant laws and regulations. Reviews disclosures, signage, marketing materials, and member communications to ensure compliance.
- Receives subpoenas and requests for legal process. Performs related research and compilation of records. Assists with audit and examination preparation.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Must attain/maintain NAFCU or CUNA Compliance Certification within 12 months of appointment.
- Maintain a continuous study of applicable state and federal laws to ensure NextMark’s policies and procedures remain compliant with the appropriate laws. Keep informed of current fraud trends and methods to prevent loss.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and policies & procedures including but not limited to the BSA/USA PATRIOT ACT, with satisfactory performance evidenced in audit and exam reports. Monitor and document all compliance efforts.
- Ensure all disclosures, signage, marketing materials, and member communications are compliant.
- Develop and maintain a library of compliance resources, policies, and procedures to enable employees to educate themselves in relevant areas. Ensure all staff receive required compliance training in a timely manner.
- Ensure all Verafin anomalies are reviewed and responded to on a daily basis. Ensure all CTRs and SARs are complete, accurate, and filed on time according to BSA guidelines. Perform all other BSA functions on time and accurately according to BSA guidelines.
- Prepare periodic reports timely, accurately, and professionally. Maintain compliance records and logs as prescribed. Prepare audit and exam documentation prior to established due dates. Prepare monthly written report informing management of compliance performance and any compliance issues affecting NextMark operations.
Knowledge and Skills:
Experience: Five years to ten years of similar or related experience in a compliance capacity. Credit union experience preferred.
Education: A college degree or equivalent education, training, or experience. Industry certification such as NAFCU or CUNA Compliance School Certification strongly preferred.
Interpersonal Skills: Work involves much personal contact with others inside and outside the organization for the purpose of first-level conflict resolution, building relationships, and soliciting cooperation. Discussions involve a higher degree of confidentiality and discretion, requiring diplomacy and tact in communication.
Other Skills/Requirements: Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills. Ability to work within deadlines and under pressure. Excellent analytical skills. Microsoft Office proficient (including Word, Excel, and Outlook). Verafin and DNA experience strongly preferred. Must pass background check and maintain ability to be bonded. Must attain/maintain NAFCU or CUNA Compliance Certification within 12 months of appointment.
Physical Requirements: Ability to lift up to 25 pounds. Ability to sit at a desk for extended periods.
Work Environment: An office environment. Telecommuting program available.
This job description is not a complete statement of all duties and responsibilities comprising this position.
This position will be posted both internally and externally. Final internal and external candidates must successfully complete the required pre-employment assessments designated for this position.
NextMark Credit Union is an EEO employer committed to the non-discriminatory treatment of all applicants and personnel without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, pregnancy, childbirth, or a medical condition related to pregnancy or childbirth, marital status, disability, citizenship status, military status, or any other classifications protected by applicable state, federal or local laws. Equal access to programs, services and
To apply for this position, please access our Compliance Officer post on Indeed and click “Apply Now”.
How to Apply
Carefully read the above posting for specific information on how to apply for this position. If the credit union requests you apply through their website or directly through email to one of their staff members, please use that method to ensure timely consideration for the position you seek.
Go to main navigation