Northwest Federal Credit Union Foundation is helping 20 college students from several Virginia communities fund their higher education. The Foundation’s 2013 scholarship winners – who received a collective $100,000 – were announced at its annual award ceremony June 2.
Shannon Tackett, Communications Officer
(Toll free) 800-336-3384
Herndon, Va. – Northwest Federal Credit Union Foundation is helping 20 college students from several Virginia communities fund their higher education. The Foundation’s 2013 scholarship winners – who received a collective $100,000 – were announced at its annual award ceremony June 2.
The Foundation is the charitable arm of Northwest Federal Credit Union, and annually awards the scholarships to students demonstrating leadership, dedication and commitment to their schools, homes and communities. This year’s winners represent communities from across the region; each received the Ben DeFelice Scholarship in the amount of $5,000.
“This is a great opportunity for us to support the continued education of many local students who display strong leadership skills and a commitment to making a difference,” said Chris McDonald, Chairman of the NWFCU Foundation and President/CEO of NWFCU. “They have worked hard, and we are proud to honor their past achievements, as well as to cheer them on as they work toward future success.”
The Foundation’s Ben DeFelice Scholarship program was established in 2005 to pay tribute to its namesake, who was the longest-serving Board Chairman of Northwest Federal Credit Union. According to NWFCU Foundation Executive Director Linda Rogus, the program has recognized 126 students over the years, awarding a total of $554,000 in scholarships.
“These students are dedicated to excellence and have a bright future ahead of them,” said Rogus. “It’s a great feeling to be able to help with funding their continued efforts in college.”
Winners of the 2013 Ben DeFelice Scholarships, each in the amount of $5,000, include:
- Gabriela Alvarez – graduate of Dominion High School; will attend Elon University
- Andrew Brailey – graduate of George C. Marshall High School, will attend Elon University
- Kristi Carrigan – graduate of Oakton High School, will attend U.S. Military Academy West Point
- James Chang – graduate of Fairfax High School, currently attending North Carolina State University
- Michael Chismar –graduate of Tuscarora High School, will attend Christopher Newport University
- Chauncey Crail – graduate of Oakton High School, will attend Colorado College
- Alexa Dantzler – graduate of Bishop Denis J. O’Connell High School, will attend Emory University
- Adam DeBriae –graduate of Osbourn Park Senior High School, currently attending University of Charleston
- Carlie Enns—graduate of James Wood High School, will attend West Virginia University
- Michaela Fisher – graduate of Woodgrove High School, will attend University of Virginia
- John Franklin – graduate of James Madison High School, will attend University of Virginia
- John Marcantonio – graduate of St. Anselm’s Abbey School, will attend Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- Steven Natale – graduate of South County High School, will attend George Mason University
- Katherine Neal – graduate of South Lakes High School, will attend University of Virginia
- Elizabeth Oden – graduate of Yorktown High School, will attend Lynchburg College
- Grant Pemberton – graduate of The Potomac School, will attend Tufts University
- Wray Sinclair – graduate of Herndon High School, will attend University of Utah
- Alexandra Smyre – graduate of Westfield High School, currently attending University of Virginia
- Justin Sunday – graduate of Westfield High School, currently attending Old Dominion University
- Timothy Tran – graduate of Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, currently attending Princeton University
Scholarship applications are made available on March 1 of each year, with the Foundation announcing the winners in June. To learn more about the Ben DeFelice Scholarship, visit http://www.nwfcufoundation.org/scholarships/bdf/default.html.